Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sailing in the UK is fabulous!

Team North America!


Organized measurement

My water bottle holder... copied from an AUS friend

Well, Scott and I have been happy to have a few days to get ready for this year's Worlds. It has been especially nice, to have slept two nights in a row for over 10 hours (not a normal thing in our lives.)

Scott has labored over sail choice (he sailed with 3 different brand new sails then raised them separately in the parking lot) and as one fellow sailor mentioned...'it's not the America's Cup Scott!' I had to agree, with a roll of my eyes, 'just pick one and get yourself registered!'

Registration was so organized with classical music playing and jovial measurers quick with a smile and a helping hand. I even had a problem with the boat that I was assigned which required an overnight repair but was greeted with, 'leave it with us at 5 and we will have it ready in the morning.' Wow!

Today we had a practice race...the weather was sunny and gorgeous and again, the one thing that stands out in my mind is how cordial and courteous the English are...even at a mark rounding when the proverbial S$%@ is about to hit the fan you hear a sweet and polite, 'excuse me but no wataaaa" Wow, hopefully I can take home a lesson or two.

I had a good practice race and was able to work out some kinks (including being off by 1 minute on my watch at the start) Scott was happy as well but didn't finish his race as he was focused on getting a feel for the race course and sailing in early in order to save his energy.

Tomorrow, for race one, the breeze is predicted to be 12-14 knots SE and Tuesday is predicted to be much windier but we will keep you posted!

Interview with John Bertrand and Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment