Saturday, September 18, 2010

Day 4- Oh mon Dieu!

Which Laser body? Laser built tough on right or super small on left!

Radials gearing up
Ben Richardson rockin' out while he gets ready
He's the man!

Today, I felt like I was surrounded by the beautiful French language on the racecourse and a flood 7th grade French class came back to me. "Oh mon Dieu" is "oh my God" in English....and it's all I could think of when I came in today to find that Scott who was trailing by one point going into today was now leading by 11 points after today. If he can finish one race in the top 12, assuming Arnoud has two firsts, then he will be golden.

It was a super tough day on the water. First race was started on both courses in a Northerly, which died and forced race abandonments until the thermal filled in around 2pm. The next two races on both courses started in steady breeze with strong first beats but turned light and more shifty towards the end. Truly testing conditions!

After the racing, several sailors came up to me and said, "Man, how does he do it?!" Personally, I am convinced that he has some kind of magic but truly, he does spend time in his boat when he can and I think that is a huge part of the game. His dad was also a Final Four basketball player and drafted by the Lakers so there is that genetic component too!

One friend said, "Kim, he was in 15th just behind me and had to do a 720 for fouling a guy and next thing I know, he's friggin' 200 yards in front of me! What is he doing?' My comment, 'looking for breeze?'

For me, I had a total crap first race but managed to grab a 19th in the second race. I had a clean start and heard Scott's voice in my head saying, "Come on Kim, you can put one up there, forget everyone around you, keep a clean lane and sail to the shifts"

It's all about confidence ... confidence is learning to respond to only the things that you can control and accepting that. Keep it simple..."do I need to tack or go straight?'

1 comment:

  1. I am SOOOO PROUD of both of you. When you started with OMG, I knew something good was coming. HOORAY, HOORAY, HORAY.
    I Love You Both,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete